10/08/2011

Piers Cunliffe Interview

I have always had the thought of using this blog as a way to give friends of mine a bit of coverage when it comes to getting their names out and helping them.

I met Piers at uni in my first year on the ski trip and we quickly found we had a hell of a lot in common.
Having spent enough time with him, climbing, skiing, printing photos in the darkrooms or even just chatting shit with a cuppa in hand, I have to say he is one of the most self motivated people I know.
Be kind this is the first interview I've done, its nothing serious, just finding out a bit more about Piers.

Interview after the jump!




Who are you?
Someone who is lucky to be alive three times over!


What do you do?
Tea Powered Professional Adventure and Portrait Photographer - white with one please!


Years riding/ How did you start?
2 years - best mate encouraged me - One 70 mile ride on my dads Elswick Stag and I was hooked.


Preference?
Road - Touring


Why do you love what you do?
The people and their immense satisfaction when they are pleased with the work I have produced. The places it takes me and the people I meet! Photography is not glamorous. Whoever told you that it all glitz and glam is lying. Its hard work, long hours and wallet draining, but its gives me independence and creativity.


I've always loved the way that you compose your images.
Is there anything particular that you constantly think of when framing?

Perspective! Lead in Lines! Depth of Field, Background distractions and make sure its damn well in focus or it's binned! Oh and that your shutter speed is sufficiently fast enough to be able to hand hold it!


What has been your favourite/most challenging shoot to date? Go for the double answer!
Favourite - the ones where I'm hanging from a rope on one of my adventures to capture climbers at their limit!
Challenging - not having a nervous breakdown in front of the 66th Secretary of State!


What would be your perfect shoot/dream job?
Already doing it hun!


What do you do/keeps you going when you really just want to say fuck it to all of it?
First I make a cuppa tea and munch on a custard cream, then, go for a ride to clear my head. It can sometimes get a bit too much and you have to remember to give yourself some 'you' time.
I find riding or climbing helps me relax and recharge. When I sit back at my computer, notebook, diary or camera, things become clearer and reminds me that I am not sitting behind a till in Tesco.


What can we be expecting from you soon, any decent jobs coming up?
Currently in London assisting for The Rake Magazine - a gentleman's magazine.
(We all have to assist somewhere along the line and it's a great way to meet new people and learn new techniques from others.)

My next shoot is working closely with a model casting agent.
He has some ideas in the pipeline to help boost my crazy need to photograph people/models at height while on a rope! Should be fun!


Where can people find out more about your work?
Visit my website www.pierscunliffephotography.co.uk where you can view my latest work and blog.


Just for a bit of a laugh, Word Association!

Canon: Fodder

Grease: Gun

Trains: Please remove screaming child from coach!

Uni: Loved it!

Climbing: Go Hard or Go Home!

Guinness: Make mine a pint (also going be the name of my first dog)!

Slow walkers: Kick em!